WHAT IS OHSAS 18001?
The OHSAS 18001 standard also be referred to as ISO 18001, OHSMS etc) is the internationally accepted and recognised management standard for occupational health and safety.
ISO 18001 is used as a method of assessing and auditing occupational health and safety management systems. Developed by leading trade and international standards bodies, it provides a framework for organisations to instigate proper and effective management of health & safety in the workplace.
By having a clearly defined management system in place to identify and control health and safety risks, organisations are able to minimise risks to their workforce and visitors or external contractors on their premises. The standard will enable organisations to put in place processes for continually reviewing and improving occupational health and safety.
Key areas that will be assessed by OHSAS certification
- Management systems in place
- Planning and risk assessment
- Staff training and awareness
- Communication of safety management systems
- Response to emergency situations
- Monitoring and continual improvement
Health and safety management System
Achieving a structured health and safety management system throughout the organisation will demonstrate your commitment to the welfare of your staff and external parties.
It will provide a framework to implement the ISO 18001 requirements and a process for continual improvement.
The development of a robust and manageable system will provide benefits to the organisation and its workforce. Cost savings and a reduction in accidents are just two of the many benefits.
Benefits of OHAS 18001
An effective health and safety management system can provide benefits to your customers and give you a competitive advantage by:
- Minimising the risks of production delays
- Providing a safe environment to do business
- Demonstrating your commitment to maintain an effective health and safety policy
Other benefits make your organisation more efficient, able to meet its legal requirements and help to improve staff moral by making the workplace a safer environment to work in.
Benefits to the organisation include:
- Improving your reputation and increasing your opportunities to gain new business
- Minimising risks of downtime through accidents
- Demonstrating your commitment to meet legal obligations
- Possible cost savings from public liability insurance premiums
- Maintaining compliance to legal requirements
- Providing a robust system to maintain and continually improve health and safety
Who is it for?
OHSAS 18001 is suitable for all types of organisation wanting to become more efficient in managing and reducing accidents in the workplace.
By setting up systems that are assessed by a third party certification body, organisations will prove to their staff, suppliers and customers that they take health and safety seriously.
ISO 18001 provides a framework to help organisations meet their legal obligations to Health and Safety in the workplace.
The audit can be undertaken by a number of Certification bodies within the UK.
For more information please contact
firstname.lastname@example.org T- 01325 788352 - M-07791 425 011